Friday, July 17, 2009

Following Some Advice




I've heard it said a lot lately, "You'd better write down the funny things he says, because one day, you'll wish you could remember them!" Well, since I still haven't done the boys' baby books (*gasp*... I know!) and also due to the fact that we are currently living in our 5th house (in 7 years), so I've lost a lot of loose pieces of paper, I think I'll take a moment to record a few Eli-isms here on our blog.


Here is a sampling of what I can remember, off the top of my head. I'll try to put them into categories.


Things he's overheard and adopted as his own:

"GO, car! The light is green!"

"You're kiddin' (killing) me, _______!" (possibilities include, but are not limited to, computer, dvd player, train, Tucker, Mama, Daddy, & Sam)

"That's amazing!"

(after I've sufficiently answered his myriad of "Why?" questions)   "Oh! That's cool." (nonchalantly)


Things he says that show the way his mind works:

"I'm a potty train! Choo-choo!"

Eli: "Mama, may I please have a Charlie, please?"
Me: "A what?"
Eli: "A Charlie."
Me: "I'm sorry, baby, but I just really don't know what you're talking about."
Eli: "I'm talking 'bout a Charlie Brown!"
Me: "You want a brownie?"
Eli: "Yes!!!"

"I'm bleefin' (bleeding) Mama. I need a band-aid."
(When he was sick with a fever virus and awoke in the middle of the night with a fever of 103F) "I'm bleefin'. I need some Motrin!"

"Hey, Mama! I got a big idea for ya!" (the big idea can be either a plan, i. e. "let's go at the zoo!" or something that is big, i. e. "a giant, giant elephant!"


Eli: "I'm sweating, Daddy."
Grant: "Oh no! Did you wet your bed?" (yes)
Eli: "No, Daddy. I sweating."


(after any loud noise) "That scared my ears!"


"My name's E-jah Li-jah."

"I want to do it all my by-self!"


Things he says when he's "helping" me take care of Sam:


"I kin be a pin fin!" (I have no earthly idea what this means, but he's been saying this, very deliberately, stressing each "word" of it, since Sam was a newborn. They both think it's hilarious, though.)


"Mama! Sam pooted! I can smell it. It stinks. It stinks in my nose!"


*excited gasp*, listening for more sounds coming from Sam's room* "Sam waked up! I go get him outta his bed! Come on, Mama! Hurry so we can get him outta his bed! He's wake!"


(making Sam laugh by acting silly)"I'm making Sam be funny!"


(when I'm trying to feed Sam baby food, especially the early days of cereal)  "He's finished, Mama. He doesn't like it! He doesn't want it, Mama. Mama, Mama! He doesn't want it!"


"No, no, Sam! You must don't have my _____!" (whatever toy he has managed to swipe from Eli)


(in his softest, sweetest voice) "It's okay, Sam. It's goin' be oooo-kaaay." (when I'm driving and Sam is fussy in his carseat)


Some of my favorite pronunciations are also some of our favorite things to see at the zoo:


"hippy-ta-pah-mus"


"gri-ddah"


"ef-flant"


"podar bear"


"pan-nah bear"


"jraff" & "beebee jraff"


Things that tell me either (a) he's in trouble or (b) I'm in trouble:


"I'm fine. I'm fine" (a.k.a. I don't want to go to time out.)


"I'm ready to obey you, Mama." (a.k.a. I'm ready to get out of time out)


(volunteering from another room, especially the bathroom) "I don't need any help, Mama!"


Sam is still doing great, too, and he already has a few words of his own:


"da-da" (Daddy, of course!)


"ba-ba" (which is what Eli calls my mom, but Sam has started saying it when he wants me)


"ba" (deliberately & emphatically, repeatedly, means he is hungry. I think this one is especially funny, since he still refuses almost every time he is offered a bottle!)

post signature

7 comments:

Julz said...

What GREAT funnies!!! You have reminded me to go write more of Cman's down!??!Haven't done that in a while.
GREAT photo "MRS COOL CAMERA FRIEND"
We MUST get together this week...I'll call ya or you call me!

Lexi said...

Hi! Just wanted to share my website with you! I will be donating a portion of all sales to String of Pearls! I hope youll check it out! Sugarandspice1.etsy.com And also let others know about it too!
thanks!
-lexi
Sugarandspice4baby.blogspot.com

Jeri Ann said...

three things. I miss yall too! Tons! two-I just figured out how to have my comments sent to my email. Love it! Three-I have GOT to get a camera like yours. Maybe for my birthday and christmas. That's the only good thing about them being so close. I love the picture of you and the boys at the top. amazing!

Amber said...

What sweet memories!! :) I love hearing how kids come up with funny phrases and thoughts!

booshy said...

The Charlie Brown...cracks me up. Love it.

Alaskiana said...

You have some precious kids!

mary said...

How did you get brownie from Charlie Brown? I would never have guessed.
http://theprovidentwoman.com

Post a Comment